Meet Dr. Uÿs
Herman commenced and completed his school education in the lowveld town of Tzaneen.
He enrolled as undergraduate dental student and completed his dental training in 1997 (BChD, UP). He worked in general dental practise (Poole, Dorset, UK) up to 1999.
The following 2 years was spend in training post whilst attaining faculty membership (MFDS, RCS, 2000) towards entry for specialist training.
He was accepted as registrar in orthodontics and completed his specialist training in 2004 (M Orth, RCS Edin). He pursued higher training and completed the intercollegiate specialty fellowship (FDS Orth 2007).
Herman returned to South-Africa in 2007 and set up practise in Pretoria and Benoni. Herman is a compassionate and understanding clinician with a kind and caring manner towards his patients. His practise includes a full spectrum of orthodontic care options.
Herman continuously strive towards clinical excellence and is a member of various orthodontic societies (SASO, AAO and the BOS). He keeps academically active and current through various continuous professional education programmes and attends local and international conferences regularly. He is certified to provide aesthetic treatment options (clearpath dental aligners and Incognito Lingual orthodontic appliances) and has a special interest in the treatment of class III malocclusions.
· Bachelor degree in Dentistry (BChD), University of Pretoria, Pretoria, Republic of South Africa, June 1997
· Membership Faculty Dental Surgery (MFDS), Royal College of Surgeons of England, October 2000
· Membership in Orthodontics (M Orth), Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, September 2004
· Masters in Dental Science awarded with distinction (M Dent Sci), University of Leeds, United Kingdom, September 2004
· Intercollegiate Specialty Fellowship Examination (FDS Orth), Glasgow, United Kingdom, March 2007
· 6th International Orthodontic Conference, Palais des Congress, Paris, 2005, Scientific Section
· BOS Training Grades Spring Meeting 21st February 2005, Tips from a prize winner
· British Orthodontic Conference, Harrogate 2004, University Training Grades and Research Session, Clinical Evaluation of Fuji Ortho Glass Ionomer Cement for orthodontic bonding
· BOS M Orth Cases Prize 2004, Journal of Orthodontics 2006, 33: 7-21
· Double teeth A Diagnostic Conundrum, Dent Update 2005, 32:237-239
· Poster Presentation, A clinical trial of Fuji Ortho glass ionomer for orthodontic bonding. European Conference, Amsterdam, June 4-7, 2005
· Comparative audit of new patient clinic attendance rates, BOS Clinical Effectiveness Bulletin, Number 18, November 2005
· Winner of the American Orthodontics M Orth Cases Prize, British Orthodontic Conference, 2004
· M Dent Sci awarded with distinction, University of Leeds, 2004
· Winner SHO Annual Case Presentation, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, 2001
Herman and wife Lara together with their two children, seven dogs and one parrot lives in Pretoria. They enjoy relaxing and spending time in nature.
We are A Full Service Orthodontic Practice
Smiling Orthodontics offers a full spectrum of orthodontic treatment services in a caring and pleasant environment. We use quality products and materials for every dental procedure. It is our objective to serve our patients with treatment that address their individual concerns. Our clinics are equipped with the latest and most modern dental equipment. We use current technology that guarantees an optimal and world class standard of orthodontic care. Our team will go that extra mile for you!
The need for healthy teeth and gums is one of our main priorities. We stay up to date through sustained continuous professional education.